Cranberry Orange Sauced Sweet Potatoes
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Yield: 6 servings
- 6 medium sweet potatoes
- or 6 medium yams
- 1/4 cup Crisco® All-Vegetable Shortening
- or 1/4 stick Crisco® Baking Sticks All-Vegetable Shortening
- or 1/4 cup Crisco® Pure Vegetable Oil
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 1/4 cups fresh cranberries rinsed
- 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch mixed with 2 tablespoons cold water
- HEAT oven to 400ºF.
- WASH sweet potatoes; pat dry. Prick with a fork; place in a shallow baking dish. Bake 40 to 50 minutes or until soft. During the last 10 minutes of baking, prepare sauce.
- MELT shortening in medium saucepan (or place oil in saucepan). Add brown sugar, salt, orange juice and water, stirring over low heat until sugar dissolves. Add cranberries; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 5 minutes or until cranberries start to pop.
- STIR cornstarch mixture into cranberries; cook, stirring constantly, until sauce comes to a boil. Reduce heat and cook 1 to 2 minutes or until mixture is slightly thickened.
- MAKE a lengthwise cut in the center of each potato; press open from bottom. Place sweet potatoes on serving platter. Top each with cranberry sauce.