Creole Beans and Rice
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Yield: 8 servings
- 2 (14.5 ounce) cans chopped tomatoes undrained
- 1 cup uncooked rice
- 2 tablespoons Crisco® Pure Vegetable Oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 (15.5 oz.) cans kidney beans rinsed and drained
- 1 (6 oz.) can tomato paste or to taste
- 3 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- DRAIN tomatoes, reserving liquid. Add enough water to reserved liquid to measure 2 cups. Pour into medium saucepan. Add rice. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to low. Simmer 20 minutes or until rice is tender.
- HEAT oil in large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; cook and stir until tender. Add celery and carrots; cook and stir until crisp-tender. Add green pepper, cumin, chili powder, basil and cayenne; cook and stir until green pepper is tender.
- ADD tomatoes. Stir in cooked rice, beans, tomato paste to taste, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce and sugar. Reduce heat to low. Heat thoroughly, stirring occasionally.