Best Homemade Potato Chips
Prep Time: 35 minutes
Yield: 5 servings
- 1 (32 oz.) bottle Crisco® Pure Vegetable Oil
- or Crisco® Pure Peanut Oil
- 3-4 medium russet potatoes (about 1-1/4 pounds)
- Fine sea salt or table salt
- HEAT oil, in 4-quart saucepan or deep fryer (375º F). Scrub potatoes, remove deep eyes and blemishes from skin. Cut a slice from both ends of potatoes to start with a flat slicing surface. Slice potatoes thinly, about 1/16-inch, by hand or using a mandoline (manual slicer) or in a food processor, using a 2mm blade. Place slices into a large bowl with enough cold water to cover.
- DRAIN water from potatoes. Remove excess water by processing in salad spinner and then blot with paper towels to prevent spattering while frying. Line a 4-quart bowl with paper towels.
- DEEP fry potatoes in 2 to 3 batches, stirring potatoes occasionally, until light golden brown, about 3 to 5 minutes. Drain on paper towels. Sprinkle hot chips with salt to taste; toss to coat evenly. Repeat with remaining potatoes.