Baking Powder Biscuits
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Yield: 12 biscuits
- Crisco® Original No-Stick Cooking Spray
- 2 cups Pillsbury BEST™ All Purpose Flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup Crisco® All-Vegetable Shortening
- 3/4 to 1 cup milk
- HEAT oven to 450°F. Coat baking sheet with no-stick cooking spray.
- PLACE flour, baking powder and salt into large bowl. Stir until well blended. Cut in shortening with pastry blender or 2 knives until crumbs are the size of peas. Add milk, stirring with fork just until flour is moistened.
- TURN dough onto lightly floured surface. Shape into ball, handling dough as little as possible. Roll into an 8-inch circle using lightly floured rolling pin. Fold in half. Repeat 3 to 5 times. Roll dough into an 8-inch square. Cut using a floured 2-inch biscuit cutter. For crisper biscuits, place on prepared baking sheet 1-inch apart. For softer biscuits, arrange so edges almost touch. Reroll scraps to cut remaining biscuits.
- BAKE 8 to 12 minutes or until golden brown.
- BUTTERMILK BISCUITS: Add 1/4 teaspoon baking soda to flour mixture. Substitute buttermilk for milk.
- CHEESE BISCUITS: Stir 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese into flour-shortening mixture before adding milk.
- DROP BISCUITS: Increase milk to 1 1/4 cups. Drop dough by rounded tablespoonfuls onto prepared baking sheets.