Bacon, Apple and Pear Salad with Warm Spiced Cider Vinaigrette
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
- 3 tablespoons butter softened
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon divided
- 1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper divided
- 4 slices whole wheat bread crusts removed
- 1/4 cup Crisco® Pure Canola Oil
- 2 shallots chopped
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup apple cider
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 (10 oz.) bag European blend salad greens
- 1 red pear cored and thinly sliced
- 1 Granny Smith apple, cored and thinly sliced
- 4 slices crisp cooked bacon crumbled
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts lightly toasted*
- 1/4 cup crumbled Gorgonzola cheese
- BLEND together softened butter with sugar, 1 teaspoon of the ground cinnamon and 1/4 teaspoon of the ground red pepper; spread mixture over bread slices. Toast bread in oven on both sides until crisp; cool. Cut each slice of bread into quarters; reserve.
- HEAT oil in skillet over medium-low heat. Add shallots; sauté until softened, about 3 to 4 minutes. Add raisins, apple cider, vinegar, remaining 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon and remaining 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper. Season with salt and paper as desired, stirring until hot and well blended. Remove from heat.
- TOSS salad greens, pear and apple slices in large salad bowl. Stir warm vinaigrette mixture before adding to salad; toss salad. Divide mixture equally among 4 plates. Sprinkle with crumbled bacon, walnuts and cheese. Serve immediately with reserved croutons.
- *To toast walnuts: Place walnuts in dry nonstick skillet; cook over medium heat, shaking pan until nuts are lightly browned.