Bistro-Style Onion and Artichoke Galette
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Yield: 8 servings
- 1 tablespoon Crisco® Pure Vegetable Oil
- 2 cups thinly sliced sweet onion (such as Maui or Walla Walla; about 1 large)
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt-free garlic and herb seasoning blend, if desired
- 1 Pillsbury® refrigerated pie crust (from 15-oz box), softened as directed on box
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 4 ounces Gruyère cheese, shredded (1 cup)
- 1 jar (6 oz) marinated artichoke hearts, well drained, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped well-drained fire-roasted red bell peppers (from 7.5-oz jar)
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 1 EGGLAND’S BEST egg white, beaten
- Fresh thyme sprigs
- In 10-inch nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook 8 to 10 minutes, stirring frequently, until soft and golden brown. Reduce heat to medium. Stir in vinegar and seasoning blend; cook 3 to 6 minutes, stirring frequently, until liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat.
- Meanwhile, heat oven to 375°F. Unroll pie crust on ungreased nonstick cookie sheet. Lightly brush mustard over crust.
- Sprinkle 2/3 cup of the cheese over center of crust to within 1 1/4 inches of edge of crust. Spread onion evenly over cheese; top with artichokes and red peppers. Sprinkle with red pepper flakes, 1 teaspoon chopped thyme and remaining 1/3 cup cheese. Fold 1 1/4-inch edge of crust over filling, pleating crust as necessary. Brush egg white over crust edge. Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Cool 15 minutes.
- To serve, cut into 8 wedges. Garnish with thyme sprigs. Serve warm.
- Bake-Off is a registered trademark of General Mills ©2010
- Eggland's Best is a registered trademark of Eggland's Best, Inc.