Caramel Bacon Apples
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Yield: 12 servings
- 12 medium, tart apples
- 12 food-safe wooden craft sticks
- Crisco® Butter Flavor No-Stick Cooking Spray
- 3/4 cup butter
- 1 (14 oz.) can Eagle Brand® Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 1 cup dark corn syrup
- 2 cups firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup finely minced cooked bacon (about 12 slices)
- or 3/4 cup toffee baking bits
- or 3/4 cup crushed pretzels
- or 3/4 cup chopped pecans
- WASH and dry apples. Remove stems. Insert wooden sticks into stem end of each apple. Line cookie sheet with wax paper. Coat with no-stick cooking spray.
- MELT butter in 3-quart saucepan over medium heat. Add sweetened condensed milk, corn syrup and brown sugar. Stir until blended. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring frequently. Reduce heat to low.* Cook 15 to 20 minutes, stirring constantly, or until candy thermometer reaches 225°F. Remove from heat. Stir in vanilla.
- DIP each apple into hot caramel, spooning caramel over apple to coat evenly. Allow excess caramel to drip off. Scrape bottom of apple on edge of pan. Place on wax paper. Sprinkle immediately with bacon pieces. Chill 30 minutes. Allow to come to room temperature before serving.
- *Adjust heat as necessary to keep mixture at slow rolling boil. Stir constantly so that mixture does not stick to bottom of pan.
- Eagle Brand is a trademark of Eagle Family Foods Group, LLC, used by permission.