Caramelized Onion and Peppered Bacon Flatbread
Prep Time: 45 minutes
Yield: 24 appetizers
- 1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon McCormick® Ground Black Pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon McCormick® Cayenne Pepper
- 8 slices thick-sliced bacon
- 4 cups thinly sliced sweet onion (about 1 lb)
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons LAND O LAKES® Butter
- Crisco® Original No-Stick Cooking Spray
- 1 can Pillsbury® refrigerated thin pizza crust
- 1 (14.5 oz.) can Muir Glen® organic diced tomatoes drained
- 2 cups (8 oz) shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced fresh basil leaves
- Heat oven to 400°F. Line 15x10-inch pan with sides with aluminum foil. Place cooling rack in pan.
- In large resealable food-storage plastic bag, combine brown sugar, black pepper and cayenne; shake to combine. Separate bacon slices and place in bag; shake to coat. Place bacon on rack in pan.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes, turning once halfway through baking, or until bacon is browned and thoroughly cooked. Cool completely. Chop bacon; set aside.
- Meanwhile, in 12-inch skillet, cook onions and garlic in butter over medium heat 15 to 20 minutes, stirring frequently, or until onions are golden brown. Remove from heat; set aside.
- Spray15x10-inch pan with sides with no-stick cooking spray. Unroll pizza crust dough in pan; press dough to edges of pan. Bake 7 minutes. Remove from oven.
- Spread onion mixture over partially baked crust; top with drained tomatoes. Sprinkle with mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses; top with bacon.
- Bake 7 to 11 minutes or until crust is golden brown and cheeses are melted
- Remove from oven; sprinkle with basil.
- Bake-Off is a registered trademark of General Mills ©2012 / McCormick and the Mc logo are registered trademarks of McCormick & Company, Incorporated, used by permission. / LAND O LAKES is a registered trademark of Land O’Lakes, Inc.